Best Scope for Hog Hunting: Digital vs.Thermal
Hog hunting is one of the hardest tests for any hunter. Thousands of hunters go hog hunting every year. Hog’s adaptation to the environment and their extraordinary dodging skills make hunting them a hard task. The right scope would be your best partner during it.
Image : Hog hunting
Attribution of image: Tima Miroshnichenko on Pexels
There are two main types of scopes that you should consider before going hunting hogs. Let’s get deeply into them and see which one should be your preference.
Thermal scopes provide excellent clarity in all lighting conditions and allow you to see your target even when it is hidden in thick vegetation. Professionals also prefer Thermal scopes for hog hunting because they have a built-in rangefinder, which makes it easy to determine the distance to your target.
Another advantage of thermal scopes is that they can be used to hunt other game animals as well. So if you are looking for a scope that can be used for a variety of purposes, then a thermal scope is the best option.
Image : Thermal scope on a gun.
Attribution of image: Alex Surd on Pexels
Thermal scopes are a great option for hog hunting because of these advantages:
- Allow you to see in complete darkness.
- Work by picking up the heat of nearby animals.
- Ideal for hunting hogs, which are active at night.
- Could be used for hunting various animals.
There are a few cons of using thermal scopes for hog hunting:
- More expensive than digital scopes.
- Heavier and bulkier than digital scopes, which can make them difficult to carry around.
- Not as versatile as digital scopes and can only be used in certain lighting conditions.
Overall, thermal scopes are a great choice for hog hunting, but these are some things to consider before making a purchase.
The second type of scope is digital scope. Although they’re not widely used, they’re getting more popular day by day.
Digital scopes are not as good as thermal scopes for hog hunting, but they still make sense to be bought. They are way cheaper and provide the best sight during daylight. Their lightweight and compactness make carrying them super easy for hunters.
Image: Digital scope on a rifle.
Attribution of image: Alex Andrew from Pexels
Due to these reasons, they’re frequently attracting hunters:
- Digital scopes are typically cheaper than thermal scopes.
- They are also more lightweight and compact.
- Easier to use, as they do not require the user to adjust the focus.
Though digital scopes are becoming more popular by the day, they have a few disadvantages:
- Difficult to use in low-light conditions.
- They can be easily damaged.
- Dropping a digital scope or getting it wet can damage the internal components and render it useless.
When it comes to hunting hogs, you have two main options. Choosing any of them clearly depends on your own personal preferences and needs. If you want to be able to see your targets clearly in all lighting conditions, then a digital scope is the way to go. However, if you’re looking for a scope that can help you hunt hogs even in complete darkness, then a thermal scope is the better option.
No matter which option you choose, make sure you do your research to find the best scope for hog hunting possible. That way, you can be confident that you’re taking home dinner this hunting season.
After doing her BA from ASU, Marcie Young held various jobs in different industries. She is now passionate about growing her blog where she writes about various topics related to gun safety, firearms ownership, and self-defense. She is a strong advocate of the 2nd amendment after a horrible experience she has had on the streets.